Tuesday 21 October 2008

Forthcoming appearance

OK, lesson learned, don't start a blog just before the start of the academic year. And that goes double if you're getting to grips with a new interface.

Anyway, I'm going to be holding a conversation at Portsmouth Cafe Scientifique entitled 'A Scientist's Guide to the Orchestra' on November 25th. I say 'conversation' rather than 'talk' because the idea with cafes scientifique is that it's as much about the audience as the speaker. I've been asked to give it a mathematical flavour, since the 'evening is organised in conjunction with the Fifth Annual Festival of Mathematics and Art' though ultimately, of course, the direction is up to the audience. The last time I did this, at Southampton Science Cafe was a lot of fun, even though I talked too much and couldn't get my musical saw to sound when I wanted.

Talking of Maths, Stefan Bleeck and I will be giving a talk to Southampton's applied maths group on neural coding in the auditory system on November 11th.

No comments:

Post a Comment